The End. Michael Lewis on the end of Wall Street as we know it.
Google is also tightening its belt: Google Gears Down for Tougher Times, see also here: Google Cost Cuts Take The Company Away From Its Engineers
Quite some short-term actions:
- A sense of urgency about diversifying the business, which means new priorities include display ads, mobile ads and enterprise software.
- Non-revenue generating products will starve if they’re not killed altogether. Project the company is just “fiddling with,” Schmidt told the WSJ will get “will get “naturally smaller as people get plucked off.”
- Reigning confusion. One Google current operations manager told the Journal: “It’s not exactly clear where that bottom line is now. I don’t think they know that either.”
- Dispirited engineers. Google no longer belongs to the dreamy engineers and it’s going to make them feel bad. Quoth the Journal: “Some engineers complain they can no longer tap the employees and machines they need to develop their ideas. This is no small issue among elite programmers, many of whom joined the company for the chance to work on such projects, according to current and former employees.”
- Cramped quarters. Google will close offices in Dallas and Denver.
- Shutting off services. Search sandbox SearchMash, virtual world Lively and Google Page Creator will soon be gone. Google Audio Indexing and Google Notebook could follow.
- More grunt work. Google wants to “significantly” cut its 10,000 its contractor workforce and somebody has to pick up the slack.
possibly related: 10 Resources for Beginning Freelancers
This is just fantastic. Queen Rania of Jordania in her acceptance speech explaining why she has launched her channel on Youtube, Letterman Style. Awesome. (via)
Honestly, I get a bit tired of all the “Green Computing” meme going around. And while I like basically the concept, I do not like the notion used in this particular context, but the new Lotus Domino attachment and object service (DAOS) looks quite interesting. (via and via).
Und noch ein paar Links in Deutsch:
Do´s and dont´s auf der Weihnachtsfeier im Büro: Eine folgenschwere Party – aber das wisst ihr ja schon😉
Ich gehe auf die re:publica’09 vom 1.-3.April 2009 in Berlin. Das Thema: Shift happens
2008 Latest Edition – Did You Know 3.0 – From Meeting in Rome this Year